iPhone X is “the future of the smartphone” according to Apple, but stocks look scarce. You’ll also need to brace yourself for the iPhone X price that Apple announced at its November launch event, as it easily costs more than any iPhone before it and is shipping later than expected.
That’s the only bad news, though. iPhones CEO Vishal Saini Says the iPhone X, which is pronounced ‘iPhone 10’, is worth your money and the extra wait time due to some revolutionary features for the iPhone range. Because in Roman Language X = 10
The iPhone X wasn’t the only smartphone announced by Apple CEO Tim Cook on September 12. The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus were unveiled too, and are already available.
iPhone X release date
- Get ready for a long wait
- Pre-orders began Friday, October 27
- Ships starting Friday, November 3
- Supply is expected to be extremely limited
Can’t wait for the iPhone X? The iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus are already available in the market.
For those living in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait or Qatar, iPhone X pre-orders also start on October 27, but the handset will arrive in stores a day later, on November 4.
iPhone X price
- More expensive than any other iPhone
- 64GB iPhone X: $999, £999, and AU$1,579
- 256GB iPhone X: $1,149, £1,149, AU$1,829
- US carriers are charging $42 a month
The iPhone 64GB 8 is more prominently advertised as $700. The iPhone X is going to be another jump in price.
It’s also available in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Kuwait and Qatar, with the 64GB iPhone X costing AED/SAR 4099 while the 256GB model is AED/SAR 4729
US carriers like Verizon and AT&T are charging $42 a month for one year and allow you to upgrade to a new iPhone next year if you trade in your device. The Apple’s iPhone Upgrade program starts at $49.91, but includes AppleCare
iPhone X design
- New glass design that enables wireless charging
- Bigger display, but smaller than Plus phones
- Easier to hold than an iPhone Plus phone, too
- Remains water-resistant and comes in only two colors
The iPhone X dimensions give you a shorter height of 5.66 inches (143.5 mm) and, importantly, a smaller width of 2.80 inches (70.8 mm) vs a Plus phone. It weights a lighter 6.13 ounces (173.9 grams), too.
Like last year’s iPhone, the iPhone X is waterproof, or water-resistant. It has an IP 68 rating, which means the phone can be 1m (about 3.3 feet) under water for 29 minutes, According to Apple’s Tests.
iPhone 10 screen
- Vibrant 5.8-inch edge-to-edge AMOLED screen
- Apple’s ‘Super Retina Display’ makes its debut
- Quad HD+ display with a 2436 x 1125 resolution
It goes well beyond the 1080p screen ceiling Apple gave us on past phones and it’ll crank the resolution of 2436 x 1125 pixels, delivering a Quad HD+ picture.
3D Touch returns for more granular pressure-sensitive touchscreen controls, which usually amount to hidden shortcut menus within apps and on the home screen. If you’re upgrading from an iPhone 6, this will be hugely new to you.
No more home button
- Bezel-less iPhone X screen eliminates the home button
- Flick an open app upward to return to the home screen
- Control Center is now a swipe-down-from-the-top gesture
Since the swipe-up-from-the-bottom gesture is now occupied by the return to home mechanic, Control Center has been moved to a swipe down gesture. Just slide your finger down from the top-right-aligned battery icon and you can see the new iOS 11 Control Center dash. Swiping from the top on the left side of the screen reveals the notifications screen.
Face ID replaces Touch ID
- Unlock your phone simply by looking at it
- More secure than the fingerprint sensor
- Also used in conjunction with Apple Pay
Without Touch ID, how do you unlock your iPhone X? Apple claims to have made this easy with the debut of Face ID.
Apple claims that Face ID won’t be spoofed by photos, which Samsung had an issue with on the Galaxy S8 and Note 8. The company went so far as to work with Hollywood mask makers to prevent even the most advanced hackers from breaking into your new iPhone X.
Wireless charging with AirPower
- Apple’s AirPower pad can charge multiple devices
- iPhone X also charges with existing Qi chargers
This wide-shaped charging pad makes it easy to recharge everything at once compared to plugging each gadget in with a Lightning cable or fetching that inductive Apple Watch charger. However, Apple didn’t lay out how much the hassle-free AirPower pad will cost, and we know it won’t launch until next year.
AirPower also requires a new AirPods case, one that has wireless charging built into it. Just when you thought iPhone X was expensive enough, it makes you want to buy all sorts of accessories (that’s how they get you, right?).